This was expected. Kinda.
At first we tried to work out the situation logically. That failed the RKN said continued adding html pages to their registry of illegal URLs, while any given image from those pages when submitted to them for a check was found legal. All emails we sent to RKN regarding this inconsistency were replied with “the forbidden content is still online”. This basically left us with no other choice but to remove these html pages.
Despite that we worked hard to satisfy RKN there were two pages we couldn’t remove. These were pages of search results. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
After some negotiation RKN honourably released these two and we got all our Russian traffic back. Almost.
As you might have noticed already, RKN didn’t kill us in Russia completely. Nor the network operators were fast enough to release the blocks afterwards. Это твоя Родина, сынок.